Friday 1 November 2013

Question Time With Levi Roots

I, like many others around the country have fallen in love with the tasty sauce called “Reggae Reggae Sauce”. I decided to email Levi and ask him a few questions about his brand; however I was not expecting a reply because obviously he is a busy man. Amazingly I did manage to get a response from the man himself:

1.       “What made you go on Dragons Den? And have you found that boost to be crucial in your career?”


“I was approached by a producer of the show who saw me at a World Food event selling the sauce. I had never seen the show but I was told by my kids that a Rasta man could never go on TV and slay no Dragons! So I did it to prove them wrong! Going on the show was crucial for my career because I met my mentor – Peter Jones. He’s been a great friend and advisor and without him, I wouldn't have got on that first rung of the ladder.”

2. “How did you gauge the heat of your sauce to maximize it’s enjoyment for your customers as traditional Jamaican pepper sauces are very spicy?”

“I've been making the sauce for years so I have tweaked it along the way. I like spicy food and I know that there’s a growing trend for it so I worked hard to find the right balance.”

2.       “How has the company grown since its launch, and what ethos do you instill within your employees?”

“The company has grown greatly in financial terms but we are a very small company with few employees. We license the brand name to top manufacturers but insist on maintaining the integrity of the brand and what we stand for. It’s important to instill trust, honesty and respect in people I work with – when working with a small number of people, that’s really important.”

3.       “What products have you got lined up in the future?”

“We have a lot of plans for the future – we’re looking to launch the sauces overseas and have a number of new products in development. My new cookbook, Grill it with Levi (published by Random House) launched on 9th May – so look out for that!”

This guy clearly cares about his brand and sees the importance in connecting with his customers.  Just a side note: if you haven’t tried any of his products than you simply must! You can probably find it online if they don’t sell it where you live.


No comments:

Post a Comment